Friday, October 16, 2015

Book Review: Spelled

For my birthday I was given $25 to spend from my mother-in-law.  Normally I would spend it at the wool gathering, but I missed it this year.  Instead I made a trip to Barnes and Noble.  My son picked this book off the table for me to read.  I loved to cover!  I mean....what girl wouldn't love those shoes?  However, I regret buying this book.

I tried really really hard to like it.  I made it 60 pages in before calling it quits.  It was supposed to be a popular YA novel, but it seemed extremely juvenile.  The first chapter was enjoyable.  There was a lot of play on words.  That is how the whole book seemed to be designed.  It had potential, but I have trouble tolerating the same lame writing over and over.  It just seemed to be a lot of fluff.

It's probably perfect for a 15 year old, but not an adult that likes reading YA novels.  I will be giving this to my niece.

One thing that you should be aware of is that there is a lot of "cursing" in it.  The author made the character swear A LOT, but changed them to fairy tale swears.  I know some parents have issues with variations of swearing, so I figured it was of note to mention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment