Thursday, August 20, 2015

Book Review: brown girl dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

This was one of our book club books for #adultbooklr (tumblr).  I had never heard of this book before, but I was excited to see why it won so many awards.  At the beginning I was concerned that it was just going to be a book written by a black women talking about racial issues.  There were parts of it towards the beginning that caused that fear.  Being a white woman, I am fed up with being told how mistreated the blacks are compared to white.  In my eyes, we are all the same.  Apparently, others don't share that belief.

Anyway, this book was a very pleasant read.  It was full of short, eloquent poems.  I didn't realize how fast I was reading this book.  I finished it in just a few days.  It ended up leaving me feeling good.  It was a very calm book (which is good because I was in the hospital when I read it).  It did talk about the civil rights movement somewhat.  I even learned a bit from it!  (somehow I didn't realize that blacks were trained to sit at counters)

If you are looking for a quick, feel-good read this would be a great option!

No comments:

Post a Comment