Saturday, August 15, 2015

Book Review: Shadowshaper


This book was mailed to me by one of my friends to read.  She had gone to BookCon and got this as book swag.  She knew I have been having a hard time, so she thought she would send it to me.  I was super excited to read this book because I love supernatural YA novels, but unfortunately this one left me wanting.  

It has a great concept for the book.  Spirits that get shaped into art.  It's a wonderful concept!  However, I felt that it didn't reach its full potential.  

The first half of the book seemed to have been written by a different person.  I almost couldn't continue the book because I felt that the writing was below what I would expect for a YA novel. I'm sure the grammar would be fine for someone in the 14-15 year old range, but for an adult it seems a bit amateur.    

Once I got through the first half of the book things started to connect better.  The writing seemed to get better, and the plot seemed to come together.  I felt that the plot seemed a bit slow.  Nothing seemed to catch my attention until I was 3/4 of the way through the book.  The last few chapters were great, but I wished the good parts of the book weren't so condensed into the end.  I feel like the author just didn't know how to end the story, so it was abrupt.  It was a very simple, easy ending.  

I had expected more.  Overall, I give it 3 out of 5 stars.  Mainly because I know someone like my niece would love this book.  It would be ideal for a 13-15 year old girl that likes art.  

I loved the cover art of this novel.  I should also say that it was an uncorrected proof, so it is possible a lot of what bugged me about this book has been corrected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment