Friday, September 25, 2015

Book Review: The Invasion of the Tearling



The writing in this book is phenomenal. There were a few times where I had to grab a dictionary to look up a word that I didn't know.  It's been a while since something like that has happened to this avid reader!  I loved the challenge.

This is the second book in the Tearling series by Erika Johansen.  The first book was part of my book club book club, but I had to continue the story.  However, I failed to realize that this is part of a trilogy (or more?).  I was 25 pages from the end when suddenly I realized that there was no way this book could end in the span of those pages.  So I looked up, and sure enough book #3 is coming out in June 2016!  Ugh!  I wish I had known.  Needless to say....I have already pre-ordered the next book!  I wish it were out now!  The suspense is going to kill me!  I finished this yesterday and am still reeling at the possibilities of what  could happen.  It's going to be a long almost year!

This book will capture your attention.  More-so than the first book.  There is an element introduced to the story that makes it so much more complex than Queen of the Tearling was.  I don't want to leave spoilers, but just be assured that it is worth your read!

What I don't like about the book is the element of self-harm.  I didn't feel is was essential to the plot to have not one, but TWO self-harming queens in the book.  This is such a touchy subject that I don't understand why the author threw it in there.  Unless she herself struggles with self-harm and views it as a positive thing.  As someone who has self-harmed in the past, I can see how it can be a major trigger for someone else who struggles with it.  This made me very disappointed in the author.

Other than that.....it's a good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment